What is Asterisk®*? Asterisk® is an open source software used worldwide with which PCs and servers can be set up as telephone systems. It was developed in 1999 by Mark Spencer to achieve various scenarios for telephone communications.
Benefits of Asterisk® IP telephony
Since Asterisk® software is open source (ie their source code freely available and modifiable), can be fully customizable to your basic needs. Conventional telephone systems often require additional hardware that can drive the price up quickly per extensions. In contrast, Asterisk® is already a software solution and the elegant counterpart to the traditional hardware. It also allows the connection of analog telephone lines (POTS) via appropriate gateways, so that older devices can still be used.
Just imagine you want to build a house: you order all building materials to compose them exactly as you want it. The advantage is certainly that you have a free hand in deciding where to place which stone and determined to learn stuff on the go. Asterisk® makes exactly that. It provides you with the stones, cement and bricks, leaving you with the building itself, as anyone who has ever built anything, knows it is not unusual coming across unforeseen obstacles. Sometimes the own skills are not as mature as it had been assumed or the occurrence of a special case delayed the progress of the project. It is often time-consuming and expensive to fix these problems. Suddenly, the programming and maintenance of the telephone system binds key resources in the company.
Elastix and VoIP
If you are looking for a phone system based on open standards, but characterized by ease of use and, moreover, running on all major operating systems (Windows, Linux, MacOS), then Elastix is the perfect Asterisk® alternative. It is powered by 3CX and by using the open standard SIP keeps users in control of their IP-enabled devices such as phones, gateways and trunks and not be forced into same vendor devices, same provider or proprietary models.
You can obtain an easy-to-use intuitive phone system that fits perfectly into your existing IT structure due to the fact that it can be deployed On-Premise or Cloud, Linux or Windows, virtualized or as a PBX Appliance. Elastix also has numerous features such as integration with existing CRM systems, WebRTC based conferencing, desktop clients, smartphone apps and unified communications. The combination of all these features in a user friendly environment will free up a lot of resources in your company.
- No specific Asterisk® / telecommunications training required
- Installation both on Windows or Linux
- Deployed anywhere: in the cloud or on-premise (MiniPC or Virtualized)
- 100% software-based – easy to set up and manage
- Hotel features and PMS integration
- SIP standard: Use any IP Phones, Gateways and Trunks SIP based
- Smartphone apps included for free: Android and iOS
- CRM integration
- Free and commercial licences
- Desktop clients: web, Windows and Mac
- Unified Communications ready: chat, presence, voicemail and fax to email, web conferincing
- Superior Call Center features and Call Flow Designer
- Zero Admin
* Asterisk® is a Registered Trademark of Sangoma Technologies. This trademark is not affiliated with 3CX, its products, or its websites. Sangoma Technologies is not the source of, and does not sponsor or endorse, the products/services promoted here. 3CX is not associated with or sponsored by Sangoma Technologies. All product and company names are trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of their respective holders. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.