As the younger generations infiltrate our workforces, changing the way we work, workplace culture has evolved, giving rise to new options that fit with the requirements and needs of today’s employees. Hot Desking isn’t a new concept, actually, but the necessity to have more dynamic spaces, lower costs and to bring about mobility has see its adoption grow substantially.
The Hot Desking feature allows local or remote (via SBC) connected IP Phones to be shared by different users at different time shifts. Without a user logging in, these devices can’t make calls unless the number is defined as an “Emergency Number”. This way the extensions are protected against unauthorized use and restricts outbound calls to unmonitored locations.
Note: The Hot Desking feature is available in the Pro and Enterprise editions.
In order to configure an extension for Hot Desking, first we need to enable the physical devices (IP Phones) meant to accomplish this purpose. To do so we need its MAC Address and model. Later we will configure the extensions that will make use of the specific Hot Desking Devices.
Configuring Hot Desking
- From the Management Console navigate to the Hot Desking node and click on Add.
- Select the model from the dropdown menu and enter its MAC Address.
- In the Option section select the provisioning method: Local or Remote (SBC).
- Connect the device (from a factory reset state) and provision it with the PnP method.
- Click on Assign Ext to process the PnP request and map the request to the corresponding hot desking extension number, these extensions have the format HDXXXX. The device is now ready to be used as a Hot Desking extension.
Using Hot Desking
Now we need to grant access to the extensions willing to use a Hot Desking ready device (configured on a previous step).
- From the Management Console navigate to Extensions and select or multi-select all of the extensions that you want to enable for the Hot Desking feature. At this point we have two types of extensions, hot desking extensions linked to a physical device and user extensions.
- Navigate to the Options tab > Tick the Enable Hot Desking box.
- In order to login to a Hot Desking Device the users must dial *77*(extension number)* where the IVR service will prompt the users to enter their personal PIN number. Upon completion the device will be reprovisioned.
- In order to logout from a device the users can press the dedicated BLF button or dial *77*5*.
Note: From the Management Console, the administrator has the option to force a user to logout remotely. This option is very useful when a user forgets to log out from a phone.
We have prepared a video guide to demonstrate how easy is it to configure Hot Desking. For more information you can check the Hot Desking Configuration Guide.