What if 3CX acquired Elastix?

Discussion in 'General' started by e4strategies, Dec 6, 2016.

1. voipgadget

What does "Elastix 5 is based on 3CX" mean? 3CX PBX engine, 3CX management interface, 3CX applications, what else? Distro is Debian, PBX is 3CX? Then what is Elastix? 3CX?

#21 voipgadget, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    nareach likes this.
  2. nareach

Why elastix do like this?
    Try to stay away from 3CX. "My Opinion"

3. NickG3CX

NickG3CX Administrator

Hi Jayefe, yes, unfortunately 3CX does not support Digium hardware directly. Thats because Digium hardware has been developed for Asterisk (makes sense, they wrote Asterisk). Our architecture is to work with VoIP Gateways, so its not easy to support Digium hardware (we would if it was easy, we don't make hardware anyway). But the way things are going, and evidenced by user polls, most companies are migrating to SIP trunks.

That said you could easily keep those cards and machines with asterisk acting as a Proxy / VoIP Gateway to 3CX

4. NickG3CX

NickG3CX Administrator

Yes, Elastix is Debian plus 3CX now. But we plan to take this forward. Think Volkswagen, Audi, Seat, Skoda where they often share engines and floorpans.

5. voipguy79

First of all I would like to say 3CX is a fantastic PBX, so I am not saying anything negative about the product of company. If you want a feature rich, stable, secure and professional supported and developed PBX, 3CX is fantastic. You get what you pay for!

I was also a big fan of the Elastix and PBX in a flash products. I can see from a business point of view why 3CX have gone down this route, but I feel a little disappointed that we are losing these 2 great products and I cannot help to feel sorry for the thousands of small businesses and individuals who will be let down and annoyed by this change.

Nick, your analogy of the cars above....hmmm. If you were using the same 3CX brand/engine but offering different options that fitted these markets I would agree with you but you wouldn't expect a Skoda owner to pay Audi prices when it is time to upgrade. These are different target markets, even if the cars are all owned by VW.

Unless these 3 products are going to differ in some way (price, features, etc), there are going to be lots of angry Elastix/PIAF users out there. Obviously there are options for these people to look elsewhere. I just feel a bit gutted to lose these distros.

As i said, I am not saying anything bad about 3CX as a PBX. It is fantastic. I'll just be sticking to plain old 3CX, not a re-branded version.

RIP Elastix

NickG3CX likes this.
  6. NickG3CX

NickG3CX Administrator

Hi Voipguy

Thank you for your nice comments and for explaining your view point so well.

I do certainly understand that to some it will be disappointing. That said its just a week since we have taken over the on premise business and community. Since then we have revamped the website and forum and launched the first version of Elastix 5. We will need more time to work through some of the issues that come up and build value for the community. Of course we switched from the Asterisk / FreePBX combo to 3CX, but i think that was to be expected. Overal, i think the change will be good for resellers and small business users.

We are planning some more activities that will help the current Elastix users in the coming weeks. Stay tuned.

Nick

7. rphenix

Whats the difference between 3CX's existing product and Elastix 5?