What if 3CX acquired Elastix?

Discussion in 'General' started by e4strategies, Dec 6, 2016.

1. e4strategies

I heard a rumor that this has happened. Is this a case of the proprietary PBX destroying competitors? or an effort to embrace community driven Open Source?

1: PBX in a FLASH
    2: Elastix

Seems like FreePBX distro is the way to these days...

#1 e4strategies, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2016
  2. Eduardo Souza

Would Elastix cease to be opensource? Will the project die?

3. NickG3CX

NickG3CX Administrator

3CX here. Today we will announce Elastix 5, based on 3CX. We are definitely going to embrace the community and offer support, free training, free certification etc. 3CX is not proprietary, its is completely open standard. Just not open source. 98% of the users don't require access to the source. Those that do are best served directly by going to Asterisk.org.

Elastix 5 will be free for up to 8 sim calls / approx 25 extensions. Beyond that we will cut special deals for upgrading to Elastix 5. Elastix resellers can get free NFR keys, free support, free training and more.

So i would say that this change will be good for the majority of Elastix users / resellers.

4. Eduardo Souza

And what is the value after all 25 extensions?

Because Elastix was open and had no limits.

5. NickG3CX

NickG3CX Administrator

Then you have to pay. Yes, Elastix was free but support and training was not free either, actually quite expensive. But please contact our sales - we are willing to try and work with you to make it as painless as possible by giving you deep discounts or more in certain situations.

That said, if you want it free, there is always asterisk.org and also other distributions. A good starting point for your search is the excellent blog http://nerdvittles.com by Ward Mundy.

#5 NickG3CX, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  6. Eduardo Souza

Ok it was just to be aware of how it will happen because I am or rather I was an Elastix Official Instructor here in Brazil and several people asking me.

Thank you for the informations.

NickG3CX likes this.
  7. NickG3CX

NickG3CX Administrator

Hi Eduardo, We have just setup in Brazil and are very interested to have the Elastix community onboard. We want to make trainings and so on, so please be in touch with us as we are looking to build a partner network and support them. We need instructors for our partners as well as endusers. Trainings will be sponsored by 3CX - we work it slightly differently.....

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation...

8. NerdUno

Gotta love the "proprietary PBX" moniker in the opening comment of this thread. Does anyone think the FreePBX Distro and AsteriskNOW are non-proprietary? Think again. Read the license agreements. Both are closed source products with lots of non-functioning components. Run the numbers on a fully functioning PBX using 3CX vs. one of the other "commercially-enhanced" products with REAL support and compare manzanas to manzanas. You're in for quite a surprise.

NickG3CX likes this.
  9. Eduardo Souza

NickG3CX

How can I get in touch? Do you have any skype or email?

My skype is edusouza.linux

As an Elastix instructor and certified ECA, ECT, ECE, ECSS, I also work in an institution where we have 52 interconnected servers talking extension x extension and approximately 5 thousand extensions.

I would like a contact to even the Brazilian community.

Thank you for your understanding.

Eduardo Souza

NickG3CX likes this.
  10. NickG3CX

NickG3CX Administrator

I will send you a private message

11. geoffnewnham

Pity but this seems like the death of another excellent free PBX product. Let's hope the pricing for above 8 calls and 25 users isn't going to be to bad. Limitation of one SIP trunk on free version is not useful, two would of been much better. What will happen to the Elastic Cloud PBX product now? Also will the 2.x version of Elastix still be supported for a while?

#11 geoffnewnham, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  12. NerdUno

There's plenty of (true) open source development still underway, and it's fully supported by 3CX. You can read all about it on the PIAF Forum. Better yet, roll up your sleeves and come join the fun!

13. AJP

AJP
    Staff Member

Elastix 4 / 2.5 will continue to be supported by Palosanto, not by 3CX.

14. sky

sky

The only problem I have with the 3CX model is that if you are running a "family and friends" system, where it's not a business and no one is paying you for the service, and most of the users only have Google Voice numbers, then that 25 extensions limit could be a problem. Though not the 8 simultaneous calls one, several of these people can go days without making our receiving a call.

Although I think nowadays the way to go is to get a Raspberry Pi and run either RasPBX or use RonR's instructions for installing Asterisk and FreePBX (https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30661088-FreePBX-for-the-Raspberry-Pi). This at least keeps you away from most of the proprietary, closed source stuff and more importantly does not saddle you with any artificial limits.

However, I wish the Elastix 2.5 track had been updated to newer versions of Asterisk and FreePBX. Elastix 2.5 was bar none the best distro I ever ran back in its day, but both Asterisk and FreePBX released new versions and Elastix 2.5 stayed with the older ones. But I guess that's all water under the bridge now.

15. admin

You can have unlimited extensions.

16. Amphibian

So please explain where it leaves those of us with Elastix 2.5, 3.0 or 4.0 servers in operation? Is it still ours to use and do with as we wish or will we be required to start paying 3CX for a license and the use of it?

Personally I feel like the team at Elastix just sold a lot of us down the river.... As usual, money greed over takes the best interest of the community..... There have been a lot of people over the years that have contributed to the development, testing and new add-ons that appears to have been pushed out into the cold......

It never fails though, you get what you are told is open source, free to distribute at will, help to make it a better product and then when it becomes a great product greed takes over and now it becomes worth more financially then it did as a working community..... My view of people that do this (start out claiming open source for the people) in the end are nothing more than users of great minds.....

amphibian

nareach likes this.
  17. Amphibian

But not unlimited simultaneous calls..... there's the big difference...
    and your quote of "And remember up to 25 extensions you pretty much don't have to pay anything" ...that word "pretty much" is always the silent catcher that gets you in the end.... Great choice of words I must say....

amphibian

18. admin

You can use the Elastix 2.5 servers as long as you want, its GPL. As to 3.0 and 4.0, not for us to say as their might be a potential GPL infringement. Potential as in we don't know and don't want to go there. Any case you don't need to pay 3CX anything to continue to use Elastix 2.5/3/4.

#18 admin, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2016
  19. NickG3CX

NickG3CX Administrator

20. jayefe

As evidenced by this forum, I felt that Elastix had been languishing for a quite while now, so I am not really surprised by this turn of events.
    At the end of the day developers have to make a living; the same trend can be seen in freepbx as well which has steadily become more commercial, I would guess by necessity. However, I believe that 3CX does not support Digium hardware which will force me to look elsewhere, eventually, but since I have run Elastix 1.6 for 7 years now its not as if the sky is going to fall overnight.

NickG3CX likes this.