Cisco IP Phone 7960 troubles

Discussion in 'IP Phones' started by bbackx, Aug 24, 2007.

1. bbackx

Hi everyone,

I'm new to elastix and have a strange problem.
    First off all: the situation.
    A test-pc with elastix (0.8.3) installed, prutty much out of the box (no special settings, modules, ...).
    2 extensions: one is used for a Cisco IP Phone 7960 (Extension 202), the other for X-Lite (software SIP-client, extension 203). When I go and check the operator panel, I see the X-Lite 'device' as online, but not the cisco phone.
    When I check asterisk what happens when calling with the cisco-phone, the following message is interesting:
    "Received incoming SIP connection from unknown peer to 203"
    Now, when I check the elastix-reports, I see SIP/192.168.100.173-08750de8 (192.168.100.173 being the ip of the elastix-server) as source channel. Calling with the X-Lite client, gives me SIP/203-087567b8.

So the cisco phone is connected with Elastix, but I can't call with it. When I allow anonymous calling, I can call from the cisco phone to the software client, but not the other way around.
    When I check the call preferences of the cisco phone, CallerID Blocking is set to no.

Does anyone know what's going wrong? Because I don't :(<br><br>Post edited by: bbackx, at: 2007/08/24 09:27

2. rejil.rajan

Dear Bbackx

Please could you login into the Asterisk console using asterisk -r and give the command sip show peers.

Once you give this command you can see the extension of the Cisco phone displayed.

203/203 <Your Cisco IP Address> D 5060 Unmonitored

Beside it check if you can see the IP address of the Cisco phone is present or not. If it is not present the meaning is that the phone is not registered

To rectify this issue you can login into the menu of the Cisco 7960 and go to SIP configuration and after all the Line settings, you will see an option Register with Proxy. Check if this is Yes.

If you are not having a DHCP server. In the extensions tab give the
    host = < Your Cisco IP Phone IP Address> .

This should resolve the issue. If your still facing this issue. Post a reply

3. bbackx

Hi,

Thanks for the answer.
    First I should notice that a Cisco 7912 with SIP-firmware is working perfectly.
    Now, for the 7960
    Name/username Host Dyn Nat Port Status
    204 (Unspecified) D N 0 UNKNOWN

(changed the user to 204, for some other testing reasons)

Register with proxy is set to yes and I'm using DHCP.
    I also did some sniffing with wireshark, and apparently the cisco 7960 doesn't fill in any authentication in his SIP-headers, meaning that we're calling anonymous (although caller id blocking is disabled).

4. bbackx

Strange, it works.
    I just enabled nat and set the nat-address to be the ip-address of the elastix-server.
    Strange, since this was not necessary on the 7912-phones.
    Ah well, it works :)

5. scotth

I have a Cisco 7960 phone working just fine with Elastix. Make sure that you have the SIPDefault.cnf and the SIP<mac address of phone>.cnf in the /tftpboot directory. You will also need the firmware for the phones in that directory as well.

Reboot you phone and it should read those files and configure the phone. You can get sample configurations for those files from the Cisco.com site or if you like, I can send you a copy of mine.

6. cowboy47

Could you please provide some tips on how you got the 7912 working? I am trying to get an install completed with some existing 7912's and while it will see the server, try to pull down the files via tftp, the phone shows registering, then reboots.

C

7. bbackx

Are you still having troubles?
    Sorry for the late reply, but I was very busy with other things lately.
    If you still are having problems, I'll give a short howto.

8. dalybrian

Good Day,

How do i add a logo on the Cisco 7960 via TFTP. I can't locate the directory in which to place the bmp image.

Thank You.

9. styelz

I dont think you can get it via TFTP you can however dowload it from HTTP.

Set the following line in your Phones TFTP config file:
    logo_url : "http://webserver/logo.bmp"

A non-Cisco logo can be displayed on the 79XX screen. Cisco's documentation suggests the logo be a Windows Bitmap form (*.BMP) with 256 colors and 90 x 56 pixels in size. Only two colors are displayed, black or white. The image must be saved in greyscale format. In GIMP it is Image->Mode->Greyscale. If the size of the logo is larger then this specification, the phone will rescale to fit (within reason). Microsoft Paint and many other applications can be used to create the logo image.

Source: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php ... cisco+79xx
    (Logo Displayed on 79XX Screen)<br><br>Post edited by: styelz, at: 2008/01/20 15:57

10. dalybrian

Thanks for the info / help. I got it to work.

11. amir124

Hello can you send me ur sip frameware plx